Our Travels: Drapers Meadow

History of Draper's Meadow, now Blacksburg, Virginia.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Dunkard's Bottom / Claytor Lake

Dunkards Bottom historic site on Claytor Lake State Park Posted by Picasa

Dunkard's Bottom settlement was established in 1745 on what was then Wood's River. Col. Abraham Wood first discovered the river in 1654. In 1753 Dunkard's Bottom settlement was attacked and destroyed by raiding Indians. Many of the surviving residents fled the community, some heading south to present day North Carolina, and others heading further west to the Holston River Valley. Some remained, however, and with additonal settlers continuing to move down the Philadelphia Wagon Road into the area, Dunkard's Bottom became a permanent settlement and one of the first established forts west of the New River. New River Notes and History of Abingdon Presbytery

Dunkard's Bottom & Col. William Christian

Dunkard Bottom, Homesite of William Christian Posted by Picasa

William Christian was born around 1745 in Staunton, VA. His father, Israel, came to Virginia from Scotland around 1740. The chimney standing at Claytor Lake State Park was removed from William's home built at Dunkard's Bottom about 1772. That homesite is now submerged by the damed portion of the New River named Claytor Lake. Colonel William Christian was noted for his participation in the French and Indian War, Revolutionary War, and leadership in the settlement of Kentucky.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Smithfield Plantation and Drapers Meadow Map

Blacksburg Map of Drapers Meadows and Smithfield Plantation Posted by Picasa

This map, located beside the Southgate Dr. Historical Markers, provides the locations of the Historical landmarks found in the area.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Smithfield Plantation Historical Markers

Smithfield Plantation, Draper's Meadows, Blacksburg, VA Posted by Picasa

These historical markers are located on Southgate Dr. just before the Blacksburg, VA Visitor Information Center, directly across the road from the Preston Family Cemetery.

Smithfield Plantation

Built in 1774 as the home of William Preston, his wife Susanna Smith Preston, and their seven children, the original building stands today as a living history museum. Donated by Janie Preston Boulware Lamb in 1959 to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA), today Smithfield serves as a museum of the westward expansion, and site of numerous living history weekend events. Smithfield Plantation

Solitude: Preston Family Homeplace

Preston family homeplace established 1803 from land originally owned by Phillip Barger. The land in 1755 was the site of the Ingles and Draper family cabins and farms until the July 8th Shawnee Indian Massacre. Mary Draper Ingles was captured along with her two young sons, sister-in-law, Mrs. Betty Draper, and Mr. Henry Lenard. Thus started Mary Ingles capture journey to Ohio, and subsequent escape and return to her husband, Mr. William Ingles at Drapers Meadow. Drapers Meadow Massacre

Drapers Meadow Massacre Memorial

Memorial to Col. James Patton and other Pioneers who lost their lives in the Drapers Meadow Massacre, July 8, 1755. This marker is located on Smithfield Plantation historical site, less than half a mile away from the actual massacre site, and location of Solitude, the Preston homeplace.

Preston Family Cemetery

Preston Family cemetery, Blackstone, VA. Original site of Draper Meadows.